Legal Aid & Defender Association Intake

The best way for most people to get help from Legal Aid & Defender Association is to apply for help online. This may take you 5 to 10 minutes.

To apply online:

  1. You will need a phone number or email address where we can safely reach you,
  2. You must live in Michigan or have a legal problem in Michigan, and
  3. You must be able to name the "opposing party." This is the person or "party" you are having the legal problem with. For example:  Michigan DHHS, your landlord, a debt collector, your spouse. In a few cases, like if you want a will or Power of Attorney, you don't have to name an opposing party.

If you can’t use our online system, you can call your local office. Return to the page showing your Guide results, and find your local office's phone number and hours.

All your answers are private and will not be shared with anyone other than Legal Aid & Defender Association

After you submit your application, we will review it. We will call or email you within two business days of when you submit your application.

We care about your safety and privacy.

This is a secure website. But if you are using a public or shared computer, close the Internet browser when you are done. If you don’t, you might accidentally share your personal information with someone else.

If you fear for your safety where you are now, please do not use our online application. Please call us instead. To call, return to the page showing your Guide results, and find your local office's phone number and hours.

Please let us know that you understand these concerns and want to continue.

This is an application for legal help. We do our best to help everyone in Michigan who has a low income, but we may not be able to take your case because there are more people who need our services than we can help. Filling out this application does not guarantee you will get a lawyer.

Do you understand that completing this application does not guarantee that you will get help, and does not create an attorney-client relationship with us?

If you are concerned about either your privacy or your safety, and have decided not to use our online intake application. Please call us instead. Return to the page showing your Guide results and find your local office's phone number and hours. If you change your mind and want to finish applying for help online, you must agree to continue by clicking Yes above. 

We're sorry, you cannot continue unless you understand and agree to the terms of use.

Page 2

We're now going to ask you some questions to see if we can help you. We'll need to know information about you and the people in your household. Answer the questions as best as you can.


Please Select the options that most clearly reflect your identity

Other Information

Pick the one that best describes your marital status

Last 4 digits only

If you are NOT a U.S. Citizen or LPR, please call your local office so we can find out if we are able to help you. If you need to talk to someone in a language other than English, leave a message with your language and phone number. Return to the page showing your Guide results, where you can find your local office's phone number and hours.

Page 3


Mailing Address

Page 4

Best mobile number where it is safe to reach you:

Alternative number where we could reach you?


Page 5

Best time to contact you

Page 6

Count people 18 and over, including yourself if you are an adult. If you need help getting separated from someone who lives with you, don’t count that person.

Count people under 18, including yourself if you are under 18.

Page 7

Military Service


Page 8

In order to help you, we must know the “opposing party.” This is the person, company, or entity (such as Michigan DHHS or the IRS) that you are having the problem with. If you aren’t sure, do your best to name all the people or “parties” that may fit this description. Answer as many questions as you can, but it is ok to leave some answers blank if you don't know. 

In some cases, such as if you're asking for help with a will or power of attorney, there isn't an opposing party to add. Choose "no opposing party" and move on.

If there is more than one opposing party in your case, click "Add Another Opposing Party" to add each one.

Opposing Party Information

Person info

Last 4 digits only
Opposing Party Address Information
Mailing Address

page 10

Page 10

You must qualify for our services to get help. For this question, we need information about income for every person in your household, except for someone who is the opposing party (such as someone you’re separating from or divorcing). Please include everything: income from work, child support you receive, and benefits like unemployment, Social Security, and cash assistance (FIP). Do not include Food Stamps (FAP) here.  Pick an income type to submit information about every kind of income that is brought into your household (except for the opposing party’s income). When we talk to you, we will also ask a few questions about your household assets - things like bank accounts, vehicles, and real estate that you own.

For each source of income, select a type, frequency, and amount. If you don't have any income, count incomes for other people in your household. If no one in your household has income, select "No Income".
Your primary income

Income From Other Household Members


Remember to include income from every person in your household except for the opposing party
Include income from every person in your household except for the opposing party








Page 11

For example, if you are being evicted: “I want to stay in my home.” OR “I want to move, but I need more time.” If your case involves DHHS: “I want to get my food stamps back.” Or, in a family matter: “I want to get a divorce. And I will need child support.”
By clicking "submit" you send your application to Legal Aid and Defender. We will call or email you within 2 business days to let you know if we can help you. For your privacy, this call will come from a blocked number.
You do not need to call us, but if you do, please tell us about your online application when we talk. Thank you!