Counsel and Advocacy Law Line Online Intake

One way for people to get help from CALL (Counsel and Advocacy Law Line) is by applying for help online. This may take you 5 to 10 minutes.

To apply online:
  1. You will need a phone number or email address where we can safely reach you,
  2. You must live in Michigan or have a legal problem in Michigan, and
  3. You must be able to name the "opposing party." This is the person or "party" you are having the legal problem with. For example:  Michigan DHHS, your landlord, a debt collector, your spouse. In a few cases, like if you want a will or Power of Attorney, you don't have to name an opposing party.
If you can’t use our online system, you can call by phone at 1-888-783-8190. You can call Monday through Thursday between 9:00am - 5:00pm (and until 6:00 on Wednesday only), or Friday between 9:00am - 1:00pm. You can apply online at any time.

All your answers are private and will not be shared with anyone other than CALL.

After you submit your application, we will review it. If we think we can help you, we will call you back within two business days of when you submit your application.

We care about your safety and privacy.

This is a secure website. But if you are using a public or shared computer, close the Internet browser when you are done. If you don’t, you might accidentally share your personal information with someone else.

If you fear for your safety where you are now, please do not use our online application. Please call us instead at 888-783-8190, Monday through Thursday between 9:00am - 5:00pm (and until 6:00 on Wednesday only), or Friday between 9:00am - 1:00pm.

We're now going to ask you some questions to see if we can help you. We'll need to know information about you and the people in your household. Answer the questions as best as you can.

When you are finished with each page, click "next page." If you make a mistake and need to go back, click "previous page." Do not use the back button in your browser. At the end, click "submit" and we will review your application. 

If you are concerned about either your privacy or your safety, and have decided not to use our online intake application, Please call us instead at 888-783-8910. If you changed your mind or made a mistake, please choose “yes” above to continue.
We’re sorry. You cannot continue unless you understand and agree to the terms of use.

Page 2

Hidden section


Please Select the options that most clearly reflect your identity

Other Information

Pick the one that best describes your marital status

Last 4 digits only

If you are being evicted and need help, you can also use MLH's Eviction Resource page and call the HARA in your county for rental assistance. For legal help with eviction, if you are in Wayne County, call Michigan Legal Services at 313-964-4130; all others, please check back soon for additional information.
Sorry, it is too early for you to submit an application to legal aid right now. Please come back and apply when you have received either a Notice To Quit, a Demand For Possession, or a Summons and Complaint for Eviction. You should fill out the MSHDA application for financial help now, and submit it to United Community Housing Coalition 2727 Second Ave, Suite 313 Detroit, MI 48201, so they are ready to help you when you do get a Notice, Demand, or Summons & Complaint. If you feel like you reached this message by mistake, please review and change your answers above.

Physical Address, if different from Mailing Address

Best number where it is safe to reach you:

Is there another number where we could reach you?

Best time to contact you

Helper's Contact Information

Count people 18 and over including yourself. If you need help getting separated from someone who lives with you, don’t count that person.

Count people under 18 including yourself if you are under 18. 

Page 8

Military Service

Page 9

In order to help you, we must know the “opposing party.” This is the person, company, or entity (such as Michigan DHHS or the IRS) that you are having the problem with. If you aren’t sure, do your best to name all the people or “parties” that may fit this description. Answer as many questions as you can, but it is ok to leave some answers blank if you don't know.

In some cases, such as if you're asking for help with a will or power of attorney, there isn't an opposing party to add. Choose "no opposing party" and move on.

If there is more than one opposing party in your case, click "Add Another Opposing Party" to add each one.

Opposing Party Information

Last 4 digits only
Opposing Party Address Information
Mailing Address

Physical Address, if different from Mailing Address

page 10

Page 11

You must qualify for our services to get help. For this question, we need information about income for every person in your household, except for someone who is the opposing party (such as someone you’re separating from or divorcing). Please include everything: income from work, child support you receive, and benefits like unemployment, Social Security, or cash assistance (FIP).  Do not include Food Stamps (FAP) here. Pick an income type to submit information about every kind of income that is brought into your household (except for the opposing party’s income).
Your primary income

Income From Other Household Members


Remember to include income from every person in your household except for the opposing party
Additional Income


Page 12

Household Assets
Another part of eligibility is asking about your household's assets - money and property you own. For each kind of asset your household has, enter the dollar value for those assets. If you do not have that type of asset, enter a zero. Don’t count assets that only belong to a household member who is an opposing party. If you and the opposing party both have access to an asset, count it here.




Total value of household property BEYOND normal household furniture and work equipment.


any real estate owned aside from your primary residence



Page 13

Rent and conditions



Documents and Court dates

How will you send us your documents?

Partners and Technology



Page 14

For example, if you are being evicted: “I want to stay in my home.” OR “I want to move, but I need more time.” If your case involves DHHS: “I want to get my food stamps back.” Or, in a family matter: “I want to get a divorce. And I will need child support.”

By clicking "submit" you send your application to Legal Services. We will call you within 2 business days to let you know if we can help you. For your privacy, this call will come from a blocked number.
You do not need to call us, but if you do, please tell us about your online application when we talk. Thank you!